Kids vs. Vegetables
- I didn't force him to eat anything he didn't like but I continued to serve those foods over an over at later meals. Sometimes he'd eat them sometimes he wouldn't. We just didn't make a big deal out of it.
- I quickly learned that he would eat the breads first and then want more so I started to serve the veggie first and then when he finished I gave him the rest of the meal. He didn't seem to take issue with that.
- I NEVER used language in front of him like "oh you don't like that" or "he doesn't like this or that"
- Once he could verbalize that he "don't like" something I would just say "you always loved that" or I'd sing the catch song from Yo Gabba Gabba "Try it! You'll like it". Now I tell him that in order to be big and strong like Superhero's he needs to have lot's of fruits and veggies.
- If he really didn't want to eat something I would encourage a bit but I didn't force it, but I don't offer alternative foods!!!
- There are also may ways to hide the veggies in the food (there are several books/websites with easy recipes).
- We try not to focus on the food while eating. We enjoy conversation and stories which distracts him easily enough.